Whole30 Grocery Shopping in Honolulu
I can’t stress enough to read your labels. Even I still need to practice this when I shop. Manufacturer’s change their formulas all the time, so what might be a compliant packaged product today, may not be tomorrow, or next week. This catches me as well, so I just want to save you some hassle of having to return something!
Look for allergy warnings, such as CONTAINS SOY / WHEAT. The only tricky one is sulfites, as long as in the ingredients it says CONTAINS SULFITES, but there is no sulfite ingredient (such as potassium sulfite/metabisulfite etc), the food is OK. It’s best to avoid, but we do our best to stay within our budget. We can’t do all our shopping at Whole Foods/Down To Earth (but I do admit, it makes shopping easier on Whole30, but costs about two to three times as much), so if you have to Google a lot of chemically sounding ingredients, you do it (I did it! And I still do!)
I have pricing on here, but please don’t complain to me if they’re off since these are based off of what I’ve purchased, and what I’ve seen. I have no control over a store’s pricing. I also put the location of the store, in case your store is higher, you have an idea of where to go.
- Chosen Foods avocado oil 1 liter bottle - $9.99
- Kirkland aged balsamic vinegar (no added sulfites) 1 liter bottle - $8.99
- Aidell’s chicken & apple sausages 12 pack (look for added sugar. As of March 19, 2018, it looks like only two flavors are compliant: chicken and apple, poblano and paprika, which worries me as these two may eventually become non-compliant)
- Proscuitto di Parma 12 ounce pack (ingredients should just be ham and salt)
- Wholly Guacamole minis - 20 pack
- Kirkland almond flour, superfine & blanched - 3 pounds - $11.59
- Kirkland organic whole cashews, unsalted, unroasted - 2 pounds - $21.89
- Kirkland wild Alaskan pink salmon (canned) - 6 x 6 ounce cans - $12.99
- Kirkland organic olive oil - $14.99
- McCormick organic chili powder - 20 ounces - $5.39
- Macadamia nuts (cheaper in bulk, store in the fridge/freezer and portion as you need)
- RX Bars - only the chocolate flavor is compliant
Safeway (Beretania St):
- Unsweetened coconut flakes - $3.49 a pound (located in the bulk bins by the fruit at the Beretania store). I use this as a portable, non-liquid fat.
- Organics Dijon Mustard
- Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk (in the can) - $3.99 (cheaper brand available at Whole Foods) - this is generally out of stock.
- Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos, Primal Kitchen mayo and Greek dressing - the app says it’s in stock, but there is nothing on the shelves.
Foodland Farms (Ala Moana):
- Nutritional yeast - (located in the bulk bins by the hot bar, I’d get some to try first, then you can purchase the whole bag of Bob’s Red Mill brand which is cheaper)
- Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour
- Bob’s Red Mill Coconut Flour
Whole Foods (Kahala):
- 365 Organic Coconut Milk (in the can) - $1.99
- 365 Organic Tahini 16 ounce jar - $6.99
- 365 Organic Chicken Broth
- Coconut Secret Coconut Aminos - (this is the only place I’ve found them, Foodland Farms has other products of this brand, but not specifically coconut aminos)
- Red Boat Fish Sauce
- Primal Kitchen Avocado Mayonnaise - $12.99 for a tiny jar (cheaper to buy direct from their website at $9.99).
Walmart (Fort Street Mall):
- Frozen ground beef
- Frozen ground pork (haven’t seen this for about a month though)
- Frozen chicken pieces
- Birds Eye frozen cauliflower rice - $3.30/bag
- Compliant chicken stock
- StarKist Selects Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water
- Bumble Bee Pink Salmon
- Hunts Tomato Sauce and Paste
- Great Value Diced Tomatoes
- Bertolli Extra Light Olive Oil
- Chosen Foods 500 ml avocado oil - $8.99 (Costco is cheaper!)
- Compliant unsweetened coconut milk (in the box) or unsweetened almond milk.
Target (Ala Moana):
- Simply Balanced organic spices (read your labels) - range between $2.00-$6.00 per bottle
- Black peppercorns
- Steak - $9.99 for 18 ounces of sirloin steak
- Simply Balanced Almond Butter - the only ingredient is almonds!
- RX Bars (cheap when on sale)
- Ghee $10.99 for a 7.5 ounce jar (it’s way cheaper to make your own, which I do, it's really not that hard, so this is not something I have actively looked for)
Ross’s Dress for Less:
- Coconut flour - I kid you not! I’ve gotten a pound for $3.99, but it’s not always in stock. Just check the expiration dates.
Things I haven’t found in stores:
- Tessamae’s dressings
- The Primal Kitchen dressings
- Compliant beef broth (they all have caramel color, which is sugar)